The Baxter County Early Literacy Project is a collaboration between the Baxter County Library, Mountain Home, Cotter, and Norfork School Districts, Schliemann Center for Women's Health Education, ASUMH, and other early literacy advocates.
To equip all Baxter County children with the early literacy skills they need to be prepared to enter Kindergarten, by:
- Getting books into their hands
- Promoting the importance of early literacy
- Instilling the practice of reading aloud into family culture
- Increasing awareness of Arkansas Child Development and Early Learning Standards
Little Free Libraries
There are 9 Early Literacy Project Little Free Libraries in Baxter County stocked with children’s books. You can’t miss them – they are bright yellow. Anyone may take a children's book or leave a children's book to share. Get a free book, and read it with your child today!
- Cooper Park in Mountain Home
- Quail Run/Meadow Park Apartments in Mountain Home
- Mountain Home Kindergarten
- Gassville City Park
- Norfork Head Start
- Big Spring Park in Cotter
- Mountain Station Apartments in Mountain Home
- Hickory Park in Mountain Home
- Donald W. Reynolds Library Serving Baxter County
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a book gifting program that mails one free, high-quality book per month to children from birth until their 5th birthday, no matter their family’s income. Thanks to some generous donations, this program is available to children in Baxter County! To enroll your child, visit the Library or Baxter County Imagination Library.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program engages parents in a commitment to read 1000 books to their child before the child enters kindergarten. Reading aloud to your child is the single most important activity you can do to prepare your child to learn to read. Research by Mem Fox, literacy expert and children’s author, concludes that 1000 stories read aloud is a critical milestone. To get started, visit the Library.
YES, you really can read 1000 books to your child before kindergarten!
- You have 1826 nights between birth and your child’s fifth birthday.
- If you read 1 book per night for three years, you will have read 1095 books.
- If you read 10 books each week for two years, you will have read 1040 books.
- If you read 3 books most days, in less than one year you’ll reach your milestone.
Early Literacy Project Support
Twin Lakes Community Foundation Giving Tree Grant
Twin Lakes Future Fund Grant
Arkansas Imagination Library Cost-Share Grant
Generous donors like you!
For more information on the Baxter County Early Literacy Project, please contact Kim Crow Sheaner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 870-580-0979.